Re: [RFC rdma-next] RDMA/core: Add attribute WQ_MEM_RECLAIM to workqueue "infiniband"

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 03:40:59PM +0800, Yunsheng Lin wrote:
> +cc Bhaktipriya, Tejun and Jeff
>
> On 2020/2/19 14:45, Leon Romanovsky wrote:

> By the way, what kind of sleeps and locks can not be done in the work
> queued to wq marked with WQ_MEM_RECLAIM?

Anything that recurses back into a blocking allocation function.

If we are freeing memory because an allocation failed (eg GFP_KERNEL)
then we cannot go back into a blockable allocation while trying to
progress the first failing allocation. That is a deadlock.

So a WQ cannot hold any locks that enclose GFP_KERNEL in any other
threads.

Unfortunately we don't have a lockdep test for this by default.

> >> hns3 ethernet driver may be used as the low level transport of a
> >> network file system, memory reclaim data path may depend on the
> >> worker in hns3 driver to bring back the ethernet link so that it flush
> >> the some cache to network based disk.
> >
> > Unlikely that this "network file system" dependency on ethernet link is correct.
>
> Ok, I may be wrong about the above usecase.  but the below commit
> explicitly state that network devices may be used in memory reclaim
> path.

I don't really know how this works when the networking stacks
intersect with the block stack.

Forward progress on something like a NVMeOF requires a lot of stuff to
be working, and presumably under reclaim.

But, we can't make everything WQ_MEM_RECLAIM safe, because we could
never do a GFP_KERNEL allocation..

I have never seen specific guidance what to do here, I assume it is
broken.

Jason