Re: RDMA device renames and node description

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 12:11:47PM -0500, Dennis Dalessandro wrote:

> > First option is to rely on distro and every distro behaves differently
> > in such cases, some of them won't change anything till their last user
> > dies :) and others more dynamic with more up-to-date packages already
> > adopted our default.
>
> This is the issue I see. The problem is when the distro doesn't know any
> better and pulls in a new rdma-core and breaks things unintentionally. Up to
> date is good, but up to date that brings with it what is essentially an ABI
> breakage is not.

The point of having the distros update is to get the breakage
fixed. Fedora, Ubuntu, etc should all track upstream and resolve
breakage through their bug process.

Remember, at the time this was set out nobody came forward to say that
there was distro-included userspace that (wrongly) hard coded
names. Now it is a bit late to backtrack - we need to move forward
with fixed userspace..

Jason