Re: [RFC v2] RoCE v2.0 Entropy - IPv6 Flow Label and UDP Source Port

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 10:26:09AM -0500, Tom Talpey wrote:

> > If both src & dst ports are in the high value range you loss those
> > hash bits in the masking.
> > If src & dst port are both 0xE000, your masked hash equals 0. You'll
> > get the same hash if both ports are equal 0xF000.
>
> Sure, but this is because it's a 20-bit hash of a 32-bit object. There
> will always be collisions, this is just one example. My concern is the
> statistical spread of the results. I argue it's not changed by the
> proposed bit-folding, possibly even damaged.

I've always thought that 'folding' by modulo results in an abnormal
statistical distribution

The point here is not collisions but to have a hash distribution which
is generally uniform for the input space.

Alex, it would be good to make a quick program to measure the
uniformity of the distribution..

Jason