Re: install-step fails for pandoc-prebuilt man-pages in infiniband-diags/man

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 08:31:20AM +0100, Thorben Römer wrote:

> > and yes, the no-pandoc builds have to use the standard paths.
>
> Is this documented somewhere?

Generanlly the no-pandoc build is only for some old OS's. Most new
OS's should be installing pandoc and avoiding this flow.

> >> With my limited time and expertise in the rdma-core project, I was only
> >> able to come up with a solution that I don't find very practical. I will
> >> append a diff of pandoc-prebuilt.py nonetheless, which replaces
> >> hashing-calls for *.rst to *.in.rst if applicable.
> >
> > This just makes broken output if pandoc is not present, it is not practical.
>
> The diff just changes the filename from *.rst to *.in.rst before hashing
> (get_id()). pandoc/rst2man are still called on the *.rst files (NOT the
> *.in.rst files), but the filename is now based on the *.in.rst-file.

But the scheme is to store the *output* of pandoc under the content
hash of the input.

So hashing the wrong input means you get the wrong output.

The hash *must* be the exact input to pandoc and rst2man.

> > The only good options is to shift the substition to after
> > pandoc/rst2man run - but I'm not sure if that is doable..
>
> To my understanding, this is basically what my diff does (although it
> does not "shift" the substition, but rather just uses the unsubsituted
> files to produce the names (hashes) for the prebuilt documentation). But
> as I said previously, I also do not consider it a good fix for the problem.

The shift is essential, if we retain @CMAKE_FOO@ through to the nroff
then we could do substititon on the nroff output and everything would
work sensibly.

This seems a bit hard, but is the right way to make this work.

Alternatively for your use case it might be more reasonable to copy
the pandoc prebuilt files from a system with pandoc, that did a build
with your desired path, onto your system without.

Jason