Re: [net-next v2 1/1] virtual-bus: Implementation of Virtual Bus

On Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 10:51:24PM +0800, Tiwei Bie wrote:

> > > You removed JasonW's other reply in above quote. He said it clearly
> > > that we do want/need to assign parts of device BAR to the VM.
> >
> > Generally we don't look at patches based on stuff that isn't in them.
>
> The hardware is ready, and it's something really necessary (for
> the performance). It was planned to be added immediately after
> current series. If you want, it certainly can be included right now.

I don't think it makes a significant difference, there are enough
reasons already that this does not belong in vfio. Both Greg and I
already were very against using mdev as an alterative to the driver
core.

> > > IIUC, your point is to suggest us invent new DMA API for userspace to
> > > use instead of leveraging VFIO's well defined DMA API. Even if we don't
> > > use VFIO at all, I would imagine it could be very VFIO-like (e.g. caps
> > > for BAR + container/group for DMA) eventually.
> >
> > None of the other user dma subsystems seem to have the problems you
> > are imagining here. Perhaps you should try it first?
>
> Actually VFIO DMA API wasn't used at the beginning of vhost-mdev. But
> after the discussion in upstream during the RFC stage since the last
> year, the conclusion is that leveraging VFIO's existing DMA API would
> be the better choice and then vhost-mdev switched to that direction.

Well, unfortunately, I think that discussion may have led you
wrong. Do you have a link? Did you post an ICF driver that didn't use vfio?

Jason