RE: [net-next v2 1/1] virtual-bus: Implementation of Virtual Bus

Initial Mellanox sub function proposal was done using dedicated non-mdev subdev bus in [1] because mdev looked very vfio-ish.

Along the way mdev proposal was suggested at [2] by mdev maintainers to use.
The bus existed that detached two drivers (mdev and vfio_mdev), there was some motivation to attach other drivers.

After that we continued discussion and mdev extension using alias to have persistent naming in [3].

So far so good, but when we want to have actual use of mdev driver, it doesn't look right. :-)

> > Putting some boundaries on mdev usage would really help people know
> > when to use it. My top two from this discussion would be:
> >
> > - mdev devices should only bind to vfio. It is not a general kernel
> >   driver matcher mechanism. It is not 'virtual-bus'.

So yes, we must define the scope of mdev and have right documentation to capture that.

If mdev is not supposed to be extended beyond vfio, why do you even need a bus? For iommu attachment?

[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/3/1/19
[2] https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/3/7/696
[3] https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/8/26/854