Re: Failed to enable unit: Unit file rdma.service does not exist

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 01:23:12AM -0500, Chris Elrod wrote:
> - Linux distribution and version
> Clear Linux (29870)
>
> - Linux Kernel and version
> 5.1.8
>
> - InfiniBand hardware and firmware version
> Hardware version: MCX354A-FCBT (FDR)
> Firmware version: 2.42.5000
>
> Problem:
> $ systemctl enable rdma
> Failed to enable unit: Unit file rdma.service does not exist.
>
> More background:
> I have 3 computers and 3 cards. Each card has 2 ports, so I'd like to
> directly link each computer and use infiniband with (Open)MPI.
>
> Clear Linux's package manager provides rdma and rdma-core, but doesn't
> provide rdma.service. I do not see a /usr/libexec/rdma-init-kernel,
> either.
> (Same story with other packages, like opensm).
> I made a comment on the Clear Linux community forum, and was told:
>
> """Upstream does not provide these files, and this is explained by the
> age of the project and the amount of development activity.
>
> This is one of those problems that should have been solved upstream.
> If we add unit files, they’re most likely not going to be correct
> since it’s unlikely that anyone on our team uses RDMA/opensm.
>
> YTEH - You’re The Expert Here. It would really help if you could
> investigate what the proper content of the unit files are, submit them
> upstream and Cc the clearlinux github issue tracker. Then we can make
> progress instead of blindly adding some untested and copied unit file
> from another distro."""
>
> https://community.clearlinux.org/t/unit-file-opensm-service-does-not-exist-provide-opensm-service-files/762/4
>
> I see for example that you provide support for Debian, Red Hat, and Suse.
>
> What is your policy towards other distributions (that aren't built on
> top of those three) / what are your recommendations?

Send patches and PR for rdma-core that adds your distribution and
upstream rdma-core will support it as long as you will take care
of ensuring that such new distribution picks this upstream variant.

> I am far from an expert, but I'd be happy to help if there's something I can do.

You will need to update our buildlib/cbuild too to support your distribution.
It will ensure that any new changes to rdma-core are checked against
this distro.

Thanks