Re: <infiniband/verbs.h> & ICC

On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 12:22:10AM +0000, Zuoyu Tao wrote:
> Hi Gerd,
>
> Here's the response I got back from Simon:
>
> 	there is an outstanding request with Intel, which would allow
> 	us to get rid of -strict-ansi. But until then, it seems to be
> 	a choice between (A) one line change every time we update
> 	verbs.h and (B) let in the code changes that break GCC build.
>
> 	I'd vote for (A), since it isn't really that often that we
> 	pick new verbs.h.
>
> So I suppose for now if the upstream doesn't pick up the enum
> change, we can make the change in our private verbs.h copy.

I can't imagine why using --strict-ansi would be the best solution for
compatability with gcc.

AFAIK there are several things in verbs.h that are not
strict-ansi. icc seems broken to be selectively ignoring some and not
others.

I did make an attempt at it once:

https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10209785/

We also had to give up on fixing 'zero-length-array', which is not ISO
C11 either

It didn't seem worthwhile.

Jason