Re: ipoib hw multicast addresses

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 04:06:07PM +0000, Ruhl, Michael J wrote:

> So it appears that the only way you can get the correct addresses is:
>
> Only allow netdev_register() to occur if a pkey is valid (not sure how to do this),

People will hate this (and it is rightfull problematic from a boot
ordering perspective), but yes, this is one of the the 'correct'
things to do. We can't autoconfigure the interface until the auto
configuration information is made available from the SM.

The other 'correct' option is to have the kernel default the pkey to
something fixed and not auto-configure based on what is in index
0. Again people will hate this this because the auto-configuration
goes away, but other than that this is workable.

> Create the ib0 device (netdev_register())
> Before the PKEY is set
> 	do an ifup
> 	do an ifdown
> 	Set the PKEY
> 	do an ifup.
>
> Not sure where to go from here....

This might be a hacky sort of solution more agreeable to all..

It does make sense that we loose carrier/etc during the pkey
change.

Dropping carrier will reset the IPv6 MC registrations, IIRC.

Or you need to figure out if there is a better work flow around 'set
mac' eg check what the ip link command does for ethernet - does it
somehow refresh the IPv6 MC list automatically, or are you expected to
not execute it on an up interface?

Jason