Re: rdma-core: Bringing up IPoIB devices on boot fail

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 02:15:54PM -0400, Doug Ledford wrote:
> > I added the systemd-udev-settle.service dependency:
> >
> > ```
> > $ systemctl cat networking.service
> > # /lib/systemd/system/networking.service
> > [Unit]
> > Description=Raise network interfaces
> > Documentation=man:interfaces(5)
> > DefaultDependencies=no
> > Wants=network.target
> > After=local-fs.target network-pre.target apparmor.service systemd-sysctl.service systemd-modules-load.service
> > Before=network.target shutdown.target network-online.target
> > Conflicts=shutdown.target
> >
> > [Install]
> > WantedBy=multi-user.target
> > WantedBy=network-online.target
> >
> > [Service]
> > Type=oneshot
> > EnvironmentFile=-/etc/default/networking
> > ExecStartPre=-/bin/sh -c '[ "$CONFIGURE_INTERFACES" != "no" ] && [ -n "$(ifquery --read-environment --list --exclude=lo)" ] && udevadm settle'
>
> I wouldn't trust that you can run udevadm settle here and get the right
> results.  This will only wait for the current udev hotplug events to
> complete.

Oh, neat, so udev settle is already called by Debian's
networking.service (as it should be) - assuming CONFIGURE_INTERFACES
is set, and whatever that other stuff does (Ben is this triggering for you?)

If this is already happening inthis probably means you have it right
and the udev hotplug cycle with RDMA is even too async for 'udev
settle'??

Is it because we launch the module loads from system? Presumably if
it was internal it wouldn't break the hotplug cycle?

If this is the case we might have to replace the systemd based loader
with some kind of udev builtin loader :\

> It won't necessarily wait for any unstarted hotplug events.
> I think you need to change the After line above to include the systemd-
> udev-settle.service directly.

It is OK to have multiple Afters, systemd adds to the list in this
case. This is how the add-ins are supposed to work..

But the whole thing isn't neeed if the 'built-in' settle of
networking.service can be used.

Jason