Re: [RFC 1/2] Protect larger order pages from breaking up

On Thu, 22 Feb 2018, Zi Yan wrote:

> Yes. I saw the attached patches. I am definitely going to apply them and see how they work out.
>
> In his last patch, there are a bunch of magic numbers used to reserve free page blocks
> at different orders. I think that is the most interesting part. If Thomas can share how
> to determine these numbers with his theory based on workloads, hardware/chipset, that would
> be a great guideline for sysadmins to take advantage of the patches.

These numbers are specific to the loads encountered in his situation and
the patches are specific to the machine configurations in his environment.

I have tried to generalize his idea and produce a patchset that is
reviewable and acceptable. I will update the patchset as needed.