ib_create_qp failing

Hi,

I have been trying to implement a kernel module (kernel 4.12) that opens
an Infiniband connection, but have run into difficulties.  The call to
ib_create_qp() fails with -EINVAL.  I have successfully set up the
completion queues and protection domain. I have called ib_query_port()
beforehand, which helps (I get farther along) but the ib_create_qp() call
still fails.

>From userspace, I have no problems moving data over RoCE, so I'm assuming
my hardware, kernel, OFED, etc are all OK.

I have used the net/smc module extensively as a reference, but there seems
to be something fundamental that I'm missing.  How can I find out what's
going wrong here?

Thanks,
Joel