Re: Please update the linux-next location for the RDMA subsystem

On 11/19/17 1:46 AM, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 02:47:40PM -0500, Doug Ledford wrote:
>> Hi Stephen,
>>
>> Jason Gunthorpe is now co-maintaining the RDMA subsystem with me.  We
>> have a shared repo that we can both write into.  I would like you to re-
>> aim the RDMA linux-next pull point to:
>>
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rdma/rdma.git tags/for-
>> next
>
> Doug,
>
> Does it make sense to get rid of "k.o" notation for for-next and for-rc branches?
> It is already on kernel.org and seems to me as a redundant.

Jason and I talked about this offline.  The reason it's there is
actually more technical than anything else.  In order to have WIP
branches that you want to quickly/easily get on github, but to not have
them pollute k.o with WIP branches that haven't passed 0day yet, the
easy solution is to add this to your .git/config for your kernel repo:

        push = refs/heads/k.o/*:refs/heads/k.o/*
        push = +refs/tags/for-linus*:refs/tags/for-linus*
        push = +refs/tags/for-next*:refs/tags/for-next*
        push = refs/heads/master:refs/heads/master

That keeps only the stuff you really want going to k.o going there, and
everything can then go to your WIP repository.  Going forward, whether
Jason decides to use a github repo for 0day like I do or not, it now has
a second benefit in that we can each have our own private namespace,
which is basically anything not in k.o/, and treat the k.o/ namespace as
a shared namespace where we worry about branch name conflicts, fast
forward only updates, etc.  So, it's redundant to the people pulling,
but I still think it has value for Jason and I.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford@xxxxxxxxxx>
    GPG KeyID: B826A3330E572FDD