Re: [RFC] Registering non-contiguous memory

On Thu, Nov 02, 2017 at 10:12:22AM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 02, 2017 at 07:09:42AM +0200, Leon Romanovsky wrote:

> > > This patch is full of weird little mistakes like the above, wouldn't
> > > compile and doesn't really seem capture the proposed API.
> >
> > Those RFCs are intended to present concept and implementation direction.
> > It is a little bit over-expectation to have working code and clean UAPI
> > at this stage.
>
> Clear communication is important.
>
> If you have to send a code snippit to explain the idea then it had
> better 'work'. I'm not asking for an implementation, but certainly
> correct changes to verbs.h
>
> > > We are now asking for complete rdma-core patches before talking about
> > > merging new kernel uapi features. Please retry this RFC with the new
> > > requirement.
> >
> > There are steps in development process, and first step before rushing
> > into implementation details is to talk about concept. This is exactly
> > what Alex did.
>
> Mellanox already did the concept step internally, if you want external
> review you need to clearly communicate the idea, and I don't think
> these RFCs are detailed or clear enough.

Maybe yes and maybe no,
I didn't see anyone in this mailing list who asked more detailed
explanation for Alex's RFC back then. I'm sure that Alex would be
happy to explain it more, if something was unclear.

> Header file patch, man pages, documentation and an example are the
> logical next steps to vet a proposed verbs API in the public forum.

And I think that RFC should be much lighter than you wrote. Pseudo API,
motivation and examples.