Re: Computer issues...

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 10:32:03AM -0400, Doug Ledford wrote:
> My primary computer had a sudden failure yesterday. I was working, I
> turned around to grab something, and the whole thing just powered down
> while I was looking away. I tried everything to power it back up, but
> nothing worked.  However, it wasn't *completely* dead because two LEDs
> on the motherboard came on, just nothing else. So, I started to pull it
> apart and do some investigation. I pulled another power supply and
> plugged just the motherboard into it, and viola, it came up. So, I guess
> the 12v rail on my other power supply died. I went to Best Buy to buy a
> new power supply (the one I tested with really wasn't big enough for
> this machine), bring it back home, and got to work replacing the entire
> power supply.
>
> I happen to always buy fully modular power supplies if I can, so I was
> in the process of swapping things out, and I didn't realize I had
> plugged a Corsair modular SATA power cable in the SATA connector on the
> new power supply and ran it to the bank of 4 SSDs I have in my main
> computer.  Until I powered the new EVGA power supply and immediately
> heard some odd crackling followed by the unmistakable smell of magic
> smoke (quite strong I might add).  So, moral of this story is, while the
> EVGA and Corsair modular connectors for SATA power cables use identical
> physical connectors and will happily plug in on each other's power
> supplies, how they wire them up most definitely is *not* identical, and
> all four SSDs that were plugged into that modular SATA power cable are
> now toast.  This includes my primary workstation and all data that was
> on it.  Fortunately, I keep backups and what not, but I am currently
> sending this email from my laptop and I will likely loose the next day
> to two days to the task of reinstalling from scratch, then restoring
> from backup (even as I write this, my laptop is writing a Fedora 27 Beta
> USB boot key).  Joy!

Hi Doug,

Thank you for keeping us in the loop, as far as I can see there are no -rc
material except this one: https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10032391/

This patch is extremely important to forward to Linus in this cycle,
before -rc is closed, because NLDEV was added in v4.14 merge window.

Will it be OK from you side if I forward this to Linus immediately?

Thanks