Re: [ANNOUNCE] Shared pull requests (was Re: Workflow for i40iw patch submissions)

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 09:33:43PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 07:23:55AM +0300, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
>
> > I reread it a couple of times and still didn't find an answer for
> > myself. Why do we need it?
>
> The point is to make it easier for everyone to understand what is
> going on by clearly documenting via git the actual dependencies that
> are required, and to enable early QA on something that will actually
> become merged without being rebased.
>
> Handling cross tree dependencies is hard, and if Doug is saying it is
> caused so much trouble he wants to basically stop doing it, then
> exploring another way to handle it does make sense.
>
> I think it would work better to send a complete workable PR than to
> try and wrangle all the manual coordination on what should be merged
> on top of what tree and so on.

Right, it will work better on Linus's level, but it won't work on Doug
vs. Dave level. The complete PR means that your code should apply
cleanly on netdev and RDMA at the same time.

At some point of time, usually after -rc4 for bleeding edge devices,
the netdev and RDAM trees are so different in that area (for example mlx5_core)
that the chances to have clean PR are not high.

Thanks