Re: [ANNOUNCE] Shared pull requests (was Re: Workflow for i40iw patch submissions)

On Sat, Sep 23, 2017 at 11:03:25AM -0400, Doug Ledford wrote:

<...>

> I want any shared pull requests to be based on nothing newer than an
> rc2 kernel.  I branch my for-next branch at rc2, so if your pull
> request is on something later it will pollute my main for-next branch
> to merge it.  I plan to merge my own -rc pull requests after rc2 into
> my for-next branch, so you won't be missing code that goes into later
> rcs if you base your work on my for-next branch, so that's a second
> alternative starting point for your shared pull requests should you
> need it.

From our experience, it is not feasible to demand shared pull
requests on "newer than an rc2 kernel". The magic of shared pull request
is in the fact that it is based on the same origin for both trees.

In our case the same origin is Linus's tree and his official -rcX, which
for sure will be in both trees.

Once shared pull request is based on that tree, it will apply cleanly
on both netdev and RDMA without pollution of the trees.

And again, shared pull request shouldn't be based on any patches
accepted to netdev and/or RDMA which are not in Linus's tree.

Thanks