Re: crash in 4.14-rc1 with IPoIB

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 01:27:52PM -0400, Doug Ledford wrote:
> On Wed, 2017-09-20 at 10:32 -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 11:53:39AM +0200, Johannes Thumshirn wrote:
> > > I wanted to try out Christoph's NVMe multipathing patchset on my
> > > NVMe OmniPath
> > > setup and merged it into 4.14-rc1. On bootup I stumbled upon that
> > > splat and no
> > > RDMA operation was possible:
> >
> > I think this was already found and fixed a month ago?? The oops is
> > the same:
> >
> > https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9932505/
> >
> > Doug, one of the topics during the LPC was 'what to QA' - it
> > obviously causes QA problems if known bugs are left to sit on the
> > mailing list for a month :(
>
> A few things:
>
> 1)  It wasn't a month
> 2)  I was out on well known, pre-announced PTO
> 3)  I've got it now
>
> I can't do much else about it.

Just so we are talking about the same expectation..

The patch v1 was on Aug 30, you accepted it on Sep 20, as I write this
I don't see it on your k.o. I see it in your github tree, so I know it
is on the way.

If you push it to k.o at EOD today it will be ~27 days before it gets
into the hands of anyone doing QA based on your k.o tree.

If you send a PR on Monday it will be > 28 days before it gets into
the hands of anyone doing QA from Linus's tree.

I know this patch unavoidably overlaps with your PTO, but this is
still essentially an example of the topic we discussed at LPC..

As a concrete recommendation, pushing this kind of patch to your k.o
right away on the 20th and skipping the github 0day process might be
helpful..

Jason