Re: [rdma-next v1 02/33] RDMA/netlink: Remove netlink clients infrastructure

On 8/9/2017 12:03 PM, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
> From: Leon Romanovsky <leonro@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> RDMA netlink has complicated infrastructure to add and remove netlink
> clients to NETLINK_RDMA family. This complicates the code and not in
> use because not many clients are available (3 clients) and most of them
> (2 clients) are statically compiled together with netlink.c.
>
> The following patch refactors RDMA netlink and opens door for the future
> patches which will be able to get rid of a lot of dead iwcm* code.

Maybe reword as:

RDMA netlink has a complicated infrastructure for dynamically
registering and de-registering netlink clients to the NETLINK_RDMA
group.  The complicated portion of this code is not widely used because
2 of the 3 current clients are statically compiled together with
netlink.c.  The infrastructure, therefore, is deemed overkill.

Refactor the code to eliminate the dynamically added clients.  Now all
clients are pre-registered in a client array at compile time, and at run
time they merely check-in with the infrastructure to pass their callback
table for inclusion in the pre-sized client array.

This also allows for future cleanups and removal of unneeded code in the
iwcm* netlink handler.

>  	if (ret) {
> -		pr_warn("Couldn't init IB netlink interface\n");
> +		pr_warn("Couldn't init IB netlink interface %d\n", ret);

Nit: I prefer error printouts to clearly indicate they are an error.
Such as "Couldn't init IB netlink interface: err %d\n", ret

--
Doug Ledford <dledford@xxxxxxxxxx>
    GPG Key ID: B826A3330E572FDD