Re: RDMA miniconf: Persistent device naming

On 7/31/2017 7:36 AM, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
Hi All,

I would like to propose the discussion about ability to add
persistent device naming to RDMA subsystem.

Right now, the devices receive their names by simple addition of new free
index to the name (mlx5_0, mlx5_1 ...). Such naming scheme depends on the
PCI probing and in case of device reset can rename device.

Such situation doesn't help to provide constant udev rules, reliable
ibverbs hotplug and advanced "set command" of RDMAtool which at some
point of time will require reinit of ib_device.

In this discussion, I want to present netdev implementation of such
feature, talk about implications on libibverbs and suggest possible
device name convention.

Thanks

Sounds like a good topic to me.

-Denny