Re: [rdma-rc 03/14] RDMA/core: Remove unimplemented node_types and node transport

On 7/31/2017 8:18 AM, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 08:01:51AM -0400, Hal Rosenstock wrote:
On 7/31/2017 3:09 AM, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
From: Leon Romanovsky <leonro@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

There is no need to carry code, which is not implemented in any
underlying hardware.

AFAIK there are Linux based IB switch implementations and there may be
IB router implementation(s) whose drivers have not been pushed upstream
so it would be better to leave at least those 2 node types in.

So if they care, this code will be pushed together with needed fields.
Right now, this code is not connected in current linux kernel code,
not tested and can't be exposed.

It is dead code from upstream point of view.

Thanks

I would be fine leaving the code in for a driver which was in the works or fairly new. For instance the bnxt patch (11/14), perhaps there are plans to implement that stuff soonish. I'll let that driver's maintainer make that case though.

However these things are not new and unless someone is working on code to implement those things I would lean toward removing.

There is a fine line between dead code and code waiting to be written.

-Denny