Re: This merge window...

On 7/18/2017 4:05 AM, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 07:47:21AM +0000, Amrani, Ram wrote:
>> Hi Doug,

>>> Yes, I'm fine with that.
>>>

>> I'm in favor too.
>> I think this will lower overhead (on you) and speed things up.
>>
>> I guess we'll need a clear process for this to work well.
>> E.g, refresh the branches (periodically? Once notified?), match expectations on their contents, make sure they are stable around pull time and etc.
>
> I think that we agreed that branches are going to be updated on constant basis.
> This operation process is the same as DaveM's methodology.
>
> I'm going to post pull-requests together with patches based on for-next Doug's tag.
> https://www.mail-archive.com/netdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg168151.html
>
> The readers of this mailing list will see slightly different cover
> letter, but no other changes will be (they still see and discuss over
> patches posted on to the mailing list), while Doug will do something like:
> git pull git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/saeed/linux.git tags/mlx5-fixes-2017-05-12-V2
> into his tree and will get the whole series.
>
> So nothing to change, just update for-next, for-rc constantly and pull for-rc to for-next from time to time.

Close, but I'll pull each -rc update into for-next (which is what Dave
does too as far as I can tell).  When the for-rc lands in an -rc, it
will also land in the for-next branch.  This first week for-next branch
is not yet ready.  I'm still sorting and separating patches that I want
to put in -rc instead of -next, and when that's done, I need to rebase
-next to remove the duplicates and then when I merge -rc2 into -next all
of the -rc patches that Linus has taken will arrive.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford@xxxxxxxxxx>
    GPG Key ID: B826A3330E572FDD