Re: Netlink messages without NLM_F_REQUEST flag

On Wed, Jun 07, 2017 at 05:10:35PM +0000, Weiny, Ira wrote:

> > > That pattern is for async communications, the SA stuff needs a sync
> > > protocol, unfortunately.
> >
> > There is special flag NLM_F_ACK for it and userspace will set
> > NLM_F_REQUEST | NLM_F_ACK once synchronization is needed.
> >

> Reference?
>
> From my understanding, NLM_F_REQUEST | NLM_F_ACK is simply requesting an ack from the kernel on a request.  In our case the message is a response to the kernel request.

There is a large chance that we are talking about different aspects of
"sync protocol" and for sure it is due to  my misunderstanding. Can you
elaborate more about the protocol? Why is so unique to RDMA?

Why is ACK + sequence number tracking not enough?

https://www.infradead.org/~tgr/libnl/doc/core.html#core_msg_ack