Re: [RFC for accelerated IPoIB 00/27] Enhanced mode for IPoIB driver

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 8:28 PM, Jason Gunthorpe
<jgunthorpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 04:02:08PM +0200, Erez Shitrit wrote:
>>     However, New features are exisiting in common network interfaces that
>>     are very hard to implement in IPoIB interfaces while it uses the RDMA
>>     layer, examples include TSS and RSS, tunneling offloads, and XDP.
>>     Rather than continuously porting IP network interface developments into
>>     the RDMA stack, we propose adding an abstract network data-path interfaces
>>     to RDMA devices.
>
> I should also say that we have discussed this for a while and I am
> broadly in favor of this approach of delegating IPoIB skb transmit
> directly to the low level driver.
>
> There are too many optimizations that do not fit sanely into verbs,
> and the entire overhead of building a verbs wr and posting it then
> translating that to a driver wr is unnecessary layering.
>
> Longer term, it might be quite nice if the part verbs specific part of
> ipoib was cleanly split out into the 'default' implementation of your
> get_ipoib_accel_ops.

That what we tried to do here (hopefully..) we tried to keep the
separating of the control from data-path and verbs.
The accelerating functions are only for  data-path or HW resources handling.