Re: [RFC 02/10] IB/hfi-vnic: Virtual Network Interface Controller (VNIC) Bus driver

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 05:04:37PM -0600, Christoph Lameter wrote:
On Tue, 22 Nov 2016, Vishwanathapura, Niranjana wrote:

Ok, I do understand Jason's point that we should probably not put this driver
under drivers/infiniband/sw/.., as this driver is not a HCA.
It is an ULP similar to ipoib, built on top of Omni-path irrespective of
whether we register a hfi_vnic_bus or a direct custom interface with HFI1.
This ULP will transmit and recieve Omni-path packets over the fabric, and is
dependent on IB MAD interface and the HFI1 driver.

This is something that encapsulates IP (v4 right?) in something else.
Would belong into

	linux/net/ipv4

You already have similar implementations there

See f.e. ipip.c, ip_tunnel.c and lots more (try
	ls linux/net/ipv4/*tunnel*

)

If this is more like a device then it would belong into

linux/drivers/net/hfi or so (see also linux/drivers/net/ppp, plip,
loopback, etc etc)

It is Ethernet packet encapsulated in Omni-path header by hfi_vnic driver.
The packets are sent and received over the wire by the HFI1 device driven by HFI1 driver. The encapsulation information is obtained via IB MAD control interface.

Niranjana