Re: NFSD generic R/W API (sendto path) performance results

> On Nov 17, 2016, at 10:04 AM, Chuck Lever <chuck.lever@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 17, 2016, at 7:46 AM, Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> Also did you try to always register for > max_sge
>> calls?  The code can already register all segments with the
>> rdma_rw_force_mr module option, so it would only need a small tweak for
>> that behavior.
>
> For various reasons I decided the design should build one WR chain for
> each RDMA segment provided by the client. Good clients expose just
> one RDMA segment for the whole NFS READ payload.
>
> Does force_mr make the generic API use FRWR with RDMA Write? I had
> assumed it changed only the behavior with RDMA Read. I'll try that
> too, if RDMA Write can easily be made to use FRWR.

Unfortunately, some RPC replies are formed from two or three
discontiguous buffers. The gap test in ib_sg_to_pages returns
a smaller number than sg_nents in this case, and rdma_rw_init_ctx
fails.

Thus with my current prototype I'm not able to test with FRWR.

I could fix this in my prototype, but it would be nicer for me if
rdma_rw_init_ctx handled this case the same for FRWR as it does
for physical addressing, which doesn't seem to have any problem
with a discontiguous SGL.

--
Chuck Lever