Re: [RFCv2 00/15] RFCv2: Consolidated userspace RDMA library repo

On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 04:28:04PM +0300, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 11:17:52PM -0400, Doug Ledford wrote:
> > On 8/25/2016 4:13 PM, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > > We've never been able to run the rdma stack from the build trees,
> >
> > It's possible...you just have to do every step in the right order ;-)  I
> > had a spreadsheet that I tracked packages, versions, build states,
> > install states, and dependencies.  Made things a lot easier.
> >
> > But I get your point.
> >

> Sorry, but I missed your point. On my development machine, I'm
> running all relevant RDMA stack directly from their git trees
> without any excel file. It worked flawlessly without any
> obstacles, did I do anything wrong?

Maybe, because it is fairly hard to do correctly.

How do you make sure that eg librdmacm or a provider is built against
the git checkout of verbs, headers, shlib and all?

How do you rebuild the right trees if a change is made to verbs?

How do you have verbs load the provider driver from the git directory build?

When I said 'from the build trees' I mean without a 'make install',
just run 'build/bin/ibvdev_info' for instance and it guarenteed uses
the build products exclusively, including all the libraries and
providers.

Or set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd`/build/lib and have everything
use the new build.

This is the goal, and the consolidated repo can do everything except
the providers right now.

Doug is also adressing a larger issue with packaging and getting
everything to build correctly as the distro - he talked about it here:

https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-rdma/msg37855.html

Jason