Re: Testing for RDMA with ib_srp: Failed to map data (-12) with max_sectors_kb=4096 and buffered I/O with 4MB writes

On 04/21/2016 11:15 AM, Sagi Grimberg wrote:
I am still on my quest for getting 4MB buffered writes to be stable to
RDMA SRP targets.
Lots of testing has been performed here with EDR 100 back to back
connections using
mellanox ConnectX-4 with mlx5_ib, an dthe ib_srp* drivers on target
server and client.

In summary:
  setting max_sectors_kb=4096 and running DIRECT_IO is solid as a rock
  setting max_sectors_kb=2048 and running buffered 4MB writes to an FS
on a multipath is rock solid

  However:
  setting max_sectors_kb=4096 and running buffered I/O sees serious
mapping issues.

I have isolated the failure and call flow to this

srp_queuecommand
     srp_map_data(scmnd, ch, req);
      srp_map_idb
          ret = srp_map_finish_fr(&state, req, ch, 1);

The -12 is returned by srp_map_finish_fr() and fed back to fail with
ib_srp: Failed to map data (-12)

Can you print out how many FRs we used at this point?

state->nmdesc?

Hello Sagi and Laurence,

Since the SRP initiator can use multiple MRs per I/O it can happen that (temporarily) no MRs are available if both max_sectors and the queue depth are high enough. I'm working on a patch to prevent that this can happen.

Bart.