Re: [PULL REQUEST] Please pull rdma.git

On 3/18/2016 12:52 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 10:31 AM, Doug Ledford <dledford@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> There is the one merge issue between the net tree and this tree that was
>> simple and obvious to fix up.  I've had a phone call with Mellanox about
>> how to avoid this in the future (the result of that conversation was
>> that when they have a pre-req patch that is going through Dave's tree,
>> but the dependent patches are going through my tree, then they should
>> submit the pre-req patch to me as well, we can carry identical patches
>> in both trees, and when you merge the duplicate patches will just drop
>> one and then there will be no merge issue).
>
> That will end up causing just more problems if there are then other
> patches on top in either tree.
>
> It would be much better to have the shared pre-requisite not as a
> _patch_, but as a separate branch. So that you actually share the
> commits, not just the diff.
>
> Other subsystems have been able to do that.

Fair enough, I'll "encourage" Mellanox to identify which patches will
have merge conflicts between the net/rdma trees, and when identified,
submit the patch series that contains the pre-req patch with a request
for a specific topic branch that I can pull from Dave, they can then be
on the hook for letting me know about the topic branch.

>>  drivers/infiniband/hw/mlx5/srq.c                  |  41 +-
> ..
>>  create mode 100644 drivers/infiniband/hw/mlx5/gsi.c
>
> My diffstat doesn't match yours, and it's that "srq.c" file in
> particular that I have no changes to, and see no changes in your pull
> request.
>
> Other than that it looks normal, but it makes me wonder how that diff
> was generated.

Sorry, that's my fault.  I have a little scriptlet that I feed whatever
kernel version I based my for-next work on and it spits out the pull
request using git request-pull and several static items and that kernel
version.  However, even though I had based my for-next work on v4.5-rc6
(I had been on v4.5-rc4 until I saw that Mellanox put the change to
their offset header file in via Dave's tree between rc5 and rc6, so I
rebased), I had also pulled in my final -rc pull request via this line
in my k.o/for-4.6-topics/ib_core:
bbdfcf18c3b5 Merge branch 'k.o/for-4.5-rc' into HEAD

That merge meant that the diffstat my pull request spit out is showing
the diffs from v4.5-rc6 to my last 4.5-rc pull request + the queued
for-next work.  So your diffstat should rightfully drop the changes to
that file since you have them already (and to three other core IB files).