Re: [RFC 0/7] Peer-direct memory

On 11/02/2016 21:18, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> Resubmit those parts under the mm subsystem, or another more
> appropriate place.

We want the feedback from linux-mm, and they are Cced.

> If you want to make some incremental progress then implement the
> existing ZONE_DEVICE API for the IB core and add the invalidate stuff
> later, once you've negotiated a common API for that with linux-mm.

So there are couple of issues we currently have with ZONE_DEVICE.
Perhaps they can be solved and then we could use it directly.

First, I'm not sure it is intended to be used for our purpose.
memremap() has this comment [1]:
> memremap() is "ioremap" for cases where it is known that the resource
> being mapped does not have i/o side effects and the __iomem
> annotation is not applicable.

Does this apply also to devm_memremap_pages()? Because the HCA BAR
clearly doesn't fall under this definition.

Second, there's a requirement that ZONE_DEVICE ranges are aligned to
section-boundary, right? We have devices that have 8MB or 32MB BARs,
so they won't work with 128MB sections on x86_64.

Third, I understand there was a desire to place ZONE_DEVICE page structs
in the device itself. This can work for pmem, but obviously won't work
for an I/O device BAR like an HCA.

Regards,
Haggai

[1] http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/kernel/memremap.c?v=4.4#L38