Re: [RFC] RDMA verbs transport design notes

On Mon, Nov 02, 2015 at 03:46:52PM +0200, Moni Shoua wrote:
get_lid()
        Provides the LID

LID is a special case of L2 address (MAC is another special case)
Maybe change this to het_l2()?

I'm not particularly tied to the name, we can certainly change it to something else. I assume that's a typo and should be "get_l2()"?

qp_mtu()
        Using the SL determines the MTU (this varies per VL in OPA)

Again, this is too tied to the InfiniBand protocol.
Also, It doesn't make sense to me that a driver won't know how to
create a QP (this is done by the rvt) but will know how to answer
about QP mtu. Does it?

Perhaps that should have been written as "validate_mtu()", to take the user supplied MTU and ensure that it is valid. Keep in mind that OPA can have an MTU that varies across VLs. For those drivers which do not support this the function basically becomes a no-op.

flush_qp()
        Flush out all pending operations for a QP that have not made it the
wire, and wait for that flush to finish.
Again, needs generalization

Sure, we can work on that.

do_send()
        Take a fully constructed packet and place on the wire

The hardest operation of all IMO.
Should  be efficient but yet general

We are on the same page here.

Next steps
(linux-rdma).
What's the minimal progress in the rvt and the drivers before you
think it's ready for posting to the list?

I don't think we have a hard set minimal state before we are ready to post to the list. Let's see how things shape up over the next couple of weeks and if we as a community like the direction of the code and think its ready to post we can surely do so.

-Denny