Re: Create a common verbs transport library

Hi Denny,

We initially thought to implement a shared library that contains the
transport logic.

However, it seems that a SW Verbs transport driver would allow better
code sharing.

In fact, the VT driver would need only a single user-space driver for
all "backends". Any direct HW access from user-space should be exposed
by the corresponding backend driver and accessed by a different
library (e.g., psm).

At a high-level, it seems that we should do as follows:

- Decide on an initial code base for VT (rxe/hfi/qib), clone it, and
rename to VT

- Split the code to VT and backend and create the initial backend APIs, e.g.:

-- Send packet

-- Deliver packet (receive)

-- Attach multicast

-- Packet buffer allocation

-- Notify when more send space is available

- In parallel, prepare the backends of other drivers while enhancing
VT as needed.

Do you have any preferences to the initial code base?

Do you already have some code that we can look at?

Please advise as we are starting to develop a VT driver for RoCE now.

I suggest that we set up common user+kernel git repos for the initial work.

Thanks,

-Moni