Re: RFC: Immediate data support for SRP

On 07/19/2015 02:25 PM, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
 > On 7/16/2015 6:25 PM, Bart Van Assche wrote:
 >> it is easy to add to the SRP initiator and target drivers.
 >> Implementations exist in the ib_srp-backport initiator driver and the
 >> SCST SRP target driver (see also
 >> https://github.com/bvanassche/ib_srp-backport and
 >> http://sourceforge.net/p/scst/svn/HEAD/tree/trunk/srpt/). These
 >> implementations are available since considerable time, work reliably,
 >> are backwards compatible and support zero-copy. Since using immediate
 >> data provides a measurable performance improvement I'm wondering whether
 >> it would be acceptable to add support for immediate data to the SRP
 >> drivers in the Linux kernel tree (ib_srp and ib_srpt) ?

Does this possible in userspace? I'm working on software defined storage
with rdma support,and I think this is usable.

Hello Vasiliy,

The feature of the RDMA API that was used to implement sending inline data, namely passing a scatterlist to ib_post_send() with more than one element, is also available in the user space RDMA API. I think it would be easy to add inline data support in a user space implementation of SRP. Not that it really matters, but your e-mail made me wonder whether the source code of the user space SRP initiator implementation you are working is available somewhere, and if so, under which license ?

Bart.