Re: [PULL REQUEST] Please pull rdma.git

> On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 05:07:46PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>> Hmm. I've pulled this, but quite frankly, I don't think this was
>> appropriate for post-merge-window. It's not at all obvious that that
>> "rdma_cap_ib_switch helper" thing is a bugfix, and that goes for a few
>> of the other commits too. Some of them are _clearly_ not actual
>> bug-fixes, but just random commits.
>
> rdma_cap_ib_switch isn't even a bug fix, it clearly adds (or shuffles)
> dead code..

In the 4.2 merge window we added the code that mostly eliminated our
reliance on node_type as anything of value (instead of checking
node_type + link_layer to determine if certain features were supported,
we added a bitmap of the features themselves and now check that bitmap).
 Then I went on PTO for several weeks during the merge window.  While I
was gone, the rdma_cap_ib_switch helper patch was discussed and written
on the mailing list.  When I got back (which was just before the first
rc), it took me a bit of time to get all of the appropriate patches
pulled together and submitted.  I included that code because it was the
last remnant of node_type still in use, was a use that the original
patchset didn't address, and taking it allowed us to go from using
node_type to not using node_type at all in one kernel version instead of
going from using node_type, to using node_type for switches only, to not
using node_type at all across a series of two kernels.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford@xxxxxxxxxx>
              GPG KeyID: 0E572FDD