Re: kernel memory registration (was: RDMA/core: Transport-independent access flags)

On Sat, Jul 11, 2015 at 03:31:53AM -0700, 'Christoph Hellwig' wrote:
> I'm not too excited about moving the code in the drivers.  The RDMA
> subsystem actually has a lot more hardware drivers than ULDs, so moving
> logic into them seems like a major step backwards.  From my journeys
> into the drivers it rather seems like they are doing too much work
> already.

Yes, that is true..

> Having a few schemes availabe in the core code that the driver can chose
> from seems like a much more sensible option.

I think that makes sense, but several of the schemes we are working
with are effectively single-vendor schemes. Indirect MR and DIX are
good examples of things that only one vendor implements, and are not
standardized.

In those cases it is hard to argue the core should provide support for
them.

Jason