Re: rdma kernel tree

On Wed, 2015-05-13 at 17:46 +0300, Or Gerlitz wrote:
> On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 5:52 AM, Doug Ledford <dledford@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2015-05-12 at 21:31 +0000, Hefty, Sean wrote:
> >> Doug,
> >>
> >> Do you plan on only using your kernel.org tree going forward, or will you maintain your github tree as well?
> >
> > I plan to keep both repos.  The one on github will have stuff sooner,
> > but it is likely that portions of it will see rebases.  I've taken to a
> > very obvious branch naming scheme if I think that I'm going to rebase a
> > branch.  I'm also keeping the github repo as the one I have in the 0day
> > testing framework so that more of the stuff gets tested sooner.
> >
> > When I'm satisfied that a branch has passed all of the 0day testing and
> > I'm no longer going to consider any changes to the patches in that
> > branch, then I'll make a k.o/<branchname> branch and I only push those
> > branches to the kernel.org repo.  Once a branch lands there, it is a
> > fast-forward only branch and will not see any rebases or edits of
> > patches.
> >
> > I'm doing this because of the large number of interrelated patches that
> > different people are working on right now.  This makes it easier for
> > people to be able to base their work off of the latest interrelated
> > patches from other people.  Once this backlog clears out, it might be
> > possible for me to drop the github repo.  Right now it's the only way I
> > have to provide the sort of early access sandbox that people need to get
> > their patches in without taking too many consecutive release cycles.
>
> Doug,
>
> Still, as things are now, you've already accepted patches for 4.2
> which are dependent on other patches which you've accepted too (e.g
> Ira's patches on top of Michael's patches)

Actually, no, this isn't true.  I accepted Ira's cleanup patches, and
they applied cleanly without Michael's patches.  The follow-on patches
to Michael's v8 patchset have not yet been posted since the last round
of review and requested changes.

>  --> @ this point (post
> 4.1-rc3) **something** has to be in your kernel.org branch for 4.2 --
> else the chain of dependencies can become really non-traceable.

They will land at kernel.org when I know they won't change again (which
really means when I have the final kdoc patch and Ira's dependent
patches and everything there is merged properly).  For now, they are
present at the github repo as:

mwang-v8
ira-cleanups
to-be-rebased/for-4.2 (which is nothing but a merge of the two above
branches)

--
Doug Ledford <dledford@xxxxxxxxxx>
              GPG KeyID: 0E572FDD