Re: [oss-security] RE: CVE-2014-8159 kernel: infiniband: uverbs: unprotected physical memory access

Hi,

Shachar Raindel wrote on Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 11:49:13AM +0000:
> > couldn't get it to work - ibv_reg_mr would return EINVAL on an address
> > obtained by mmap.
>
> Were you mmaping a normal disk file, or was the mmap targeting an MMIO of
> another hardware device? mmap of a normal disk file should work also with
> normal memory registration, assuming you are providing the proper length.

On a proper file.
It was a year or two ago, I actually tried again now and it does seem
to work alright even on older kernels... I wonder what I did wrong back
then!

> mmap of the MMIO area of another hardware device (i.e. interfacing an FPGA,
> NVRAM, or similar things) requires some code changes on both sides. The
> current kernel code in the infiniband side is using get_user_pages, which
> does not support MMIO pages. The proposed PeerDirect patches [1] allows peer
> device to declare ownership of virtual address ranges, and enable such
> registration. However, these patches are have not yet been merged upstream.

Interesting, I don't need this right now but it's good to know.

> > Conceptually as well I'm not sure how it's supposed to work, mmap should
> > only actually issue reads when memory access issues page faults (give or
> > take suitable readahead logic), but I don't think direct memory access
> > from the IB/RDMA adapter would issue such page faults ?
>
> You are correct. RDMA adapters without ODP support do not issue page faults.
> Instead, during memory registration, the ib_umem code calls get_user_pages,
> which ensures all relevant pages are in memory, and pins them as needed.
>
> > Likewise on writes, would need the kernel to notice memory has been
> > written and pages are dirty/needs flushing.
> >

> Similarly, when deregistering a writable memory region, the kernel driver
> marks all pages as dirty before unpinning them. You can see the code doing
> this in [2].

Ok this makes sense, thanks for clearing it up.

> Liran Liss gave a presentation about ODP at OFA [3]. The technology is
> available for ConnectIB devices using the most recent firmware and kernel
> versions above 3.19.

I don't have any recent kernel around, but I'll give it a shot next
week.
(I'm working on a userspace file server, nfs-ganesha, so being able to
mmap a file and use it directly for I/O is very promising for me!)

> [1] http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-rdma/msg21770.html
> [2] http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/drivers/infiniband/core/umem.c#L62
> [3] https://www.openfabrics.org/images/Workshops_2014/DevWorkshop/presos/Tuesday/pdf/09.30_2014_OFA_Workshop_ODP_update_final.pdf and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbrlsXQbHCw

Thanks for the detailed reply, I'll dig a bit further and come back
straight to the list if need to.

--
Dominique Martinet