Re: Can someone help me understand the reason for this code in ib_isert.c?

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 12:13:22AM +0300, Or Gerlitz wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 6:29 PM, Chris Moore <Chris.Moore@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The following code is in isert_conn_setup_qp() in ib_isert.c:
> >
> >          /*
> >            * FIXME: Use devattr.max_sge - 2 for max_send_sge as
> >            * work-around for RDMA_READ..
> >            */
> >          attr.cap.max_send_sge = device->dev_attr.max_sge - 2;
> >
> > It's not clear from the comment what this is a work-around for, and I wasn't able
> > to figure it out from looking at logs.
>
> I believe this refers to some IBTA spec corner case which comes into
> play with the max_sges advertized by mlx4, Eli, can you shed some
> light (IBTA pointer) on that? is this the case (i.e dev_attr.max_sge
> isn't always achievable) with mlx5 too?

I don't think it has to do anything with some corner case. If you look
at the spec you will find that is not guarnteed that whenever you
create a QP with device->dev_attr.max_sge it will succeed. The
consumer should try smaller values if it cannot create a QP with max
sge. This is from IB spec 1.2.1.

11.2.1.2 QUERY HCA
Returns the attributes for the specified HCA.  The maximum values
defined in this section are guaranteed not-to-exceed values. It is
possible for an implementation to allocate some HCA resources from the
same space. In that case, the maximum values returned are not
guaranteed for all of those resources simultaneously.