RE: [ANNOUNCE] librdmacm-1.0.16

> > Are there any plans to include SOCK_DGRAM support?
> >
> > I could see that being potentionally interesting along with mapping
> > broadcast/multicast to IB physical layer multicast.
>
> I took a look at linux/net/rds to see if something similar could be
> done in terms of transparently supporting existing UDP applications
> but some of the semantics I think could get difficult.
> Specifically RDS won't send to congested hosts, which is not a UDPism at all.
> Also the queuing etc doesn't map very well to UDP, this would have to
> be massaged into working nicely.
>
> Has anyone done anything similar to rsockets for exposing IB UD
> (transparently) to apps as UDP?

I would like to support SOCK_DGRAM/UDP, and I've had some discussions on what may be the best way to support it.  If I had to predict, at some point I expect it to be supported.

The main difficulty lies in address resolution.  A LOT of non-trivial protocol ends up needing to be hidden under a simple sendto() call.