PCI: Work around PCIe link training failures

On Tues, 06 Aug 2024 Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> it does seem like this series made wASMedia ASM2824 work better but
> caused regressions elsewhere, so maybe we just need to accept that
> ASM2824 is slightly broken and doesn't work as well as it should.

One of my colleagues challenged me to provide a more concrete example
where the change will cause problems. One such configuration would be not
implementing the Power Controller Control in the Slot Capabilities Register.
Then, Powering off the slot via out-of-band interfaces would result in the
kernel forcing the DSP to Gen1 100% of the time as far as I can tell.
The aspect of this force to Gen1 that is the most concerning to my team is
that it isn't cleaned up even if we replaced the EP with some other EP.

I was curious about the PCIe devices mentioned in the commit because I
look at crazy malfunctioning devices too often so I pasted the following:
"Delock Riser Card PCI Expres 41433" into Google.
I'm not really a physical layer guy, but is it possible that the reported
issue be due to signal integrity? I'm not sure if sending PCIe over a USB
cable is "reliable".

I've never worked with an ASMedia switch and don't have a reliable way to
reproduce anything like the interaction between the two device at hand. As
much as I hate to make the request my thinking is that the patch should be
reverted until there is a solution that doesn't leave the link forced to
Gen1 forever for every EP thereafter.

- Matt