Seeking Guidance: Creating an IBV Multicast Group?

Hello all,

I’m not sure if this the right place to ask, but I will give it a try.

I have a system with many initialized UD queue pairs (info for address handle creations and qp numbers exchanged out-of-band). I am only using libibverbs for establishment (purposefully not using librdmacm, to allow for more flexible environment configuration) — everything is working smoothly for unicast.  Now I would like to create a multicast group and attach some of these queue pairs (ibv_mcast_attach); however I am struggling to find any details on how to create such a group (and obtain a proper MGID and MLID).

I found a few examples online but am left with questions:
	- There is code within perftest's "multicast_resources.c", but this seems a bit hacky and oddly verbose
	- There is code within Nvidia Docs’  "Programming Examples using IBV” showcasing joining an already created multicast group at a given IP address using rdma_cm, but It is unclear how to create the group in the first place

Questions (please correct me if these do not make sense):

1. What is the role of the OpenSM — is there a C API?
	- Are there any examples using opensm programmatically and not with CLI?
	- Does the API differ on InfiniBand vs. RoCEv2 fabric?

2. Is there any high-level documentation to describe the role of libibumad? (Looking at the man pages on a per-function basis is a bit too fine-grained for my understanding as of now).
	- I also see libibmad — what is the responsibility breakdown between these two?
	- How do they relate to OpenSM?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew Sheinberg