Re: [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Device Passthrough Considered Harmful?

On Fri, Jul 26, 2024 at 10:03:36AM +0200, Ricardo Ribalda Delgado wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2024 at 9:32 PM Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 24, 2024 at 04:37:21PM -0400, James Bottomley wrote:
> > > On Wed, 2024-07-24 at 23:00 +0300, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > I don't think I am.  We're mostly fully capable of expounding at length
> > > on the business rationale for being open if the thing they're hiding
> > > isn't much of a differentiator anyway (or they're simply hiding it to
> > > try to retain some illusion of control), so we shouldn't have any fear
> > > of being able to make our case in language business people understand.
> > >
> > > I also think this fear is partly a mindset problem on our part.  We
> > > came out of the real fight for openness and we do embrace things like a
> > > licence that forces open code (GPL) and symbols that discourage
> > > proprietary drivers (EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL), so we've somewhat drunk the
> > > FSF coolaid that if we don't stand over manufacturers every second and
> > > force them they'll slide back to their old proprietary ways.  However,
> > > if you look at the entirely permissive ecosystem that grew up after we
> > > did (openstack, docker, kubernetes, etc.) they don't have any such fear
> > > and yet they still have large amounts of uncompelled openness and give
> > > back.
> >
> > I don't think those are necessarily relevant examples, as far as device
> > pass-through goes. Vendors have many times reverted to proprietary ways,
> > and they still do, at least in the areas of the kernel I'm most active
> > in. I've seen first hand a large SoC vendor very close to opening a
> > significant part of their camera stack and changing their mind at the
> > last minute when they heard they could possibly merge their code through
> > a different subsystem with a pass-through blank cheque.
>
> Without knowing who that large SoC vendor is, and what they will be
> willing to open, it is difficult to know what opportunity has been
> lost.

I would also like to discuss this in more details, but I can't do so
publicly :-( That's why I don't want to focus too much on this argument.

> I would argue that if they have cancelled their open plans based
> on an hypothesis, their willingness to open was not that high.

That's exactly what I previously described in this mail thread as areas
where cooperation with vendors is in its infancy. Convincing large
industry players is long term work, and it's very demotivating when you
think there's finally light at the end of the tunel, and plans gets
cancelled at the last minute. We're not giving up though.

> It would be more healthy for the ecosystem, if those discussions were
> done more openly, at least all the core maintainers should be
> involved.

Can you get all the camera vendors you work with to talk about all this
openly ? :-) We all know it's a difficult and long process.

> > I'm willing to believe it can be different in other areas, which may
> > partly explain why different subsystems and different developers have
> > different biases and have trouble understand each other's point of view.
>
> It is not different in other areas, it is the same area. At the end of
> the day it is the same chip manufacturers, with the same legal teams.
> It is our attitude that is different.

I don't agree with that. Not only are there different manufacturers,
there are also different teams, with different approaches. The world is
not uniform.

> > > Yes, but there are lots of not very useful complex devices being
> > > produced every day that fail to capture market share.  Not having
> > > reverse engineered drivers for them is no real loss.  If a device does
> > > gain market share, it gains a huge pool of users some of whom become
> > > interested in reverse engineering, so I think market forces actually
> > > work in our favour: we get reverse engineering mostly where the devices
> > > are actually interesting and capture market share.  It's self scaling.
> >
> > I can't agree with that, sorry. Not only is the difficulty to
> > reverse-engineer some classes of devices increasing, but saying that
> > only devices that make it to the top of the market share chart are worth
> > considering will leave many users on the side of the road.
>
> Today we have left BILLIONS of users at the other side of the road.

Because we're the only ones to be blamed, or more accuretely, the blame
is solely on me. Vendors are all saints who want the best for the world.
This argument doesn't hold. Please stop with this, I don't want to get
to name calling.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart