Re: [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Device Passthrough Considered Harmful?

On Tue, 23 Jul 2024, James Bottomley wrote:

> That's not entirely true.  FIDO tokens (the ones Konstantin is
> recommending for kernel.org access) are an entire class of devices that
> use hidraw and don't have a kernel driver.  There's an array of
> manufacturers producing them, but the CTAP specification and its
> conformance is what keeps a single user mode driver (which is now
> present as a separate implementation in all web browsers and the
> userspace libfido2) for all of them.

Agreed, but that pretty much underlines my point though.

The ecosystem didn't get shattered as a result of me having created
hidraw.

libfido2 is on pretty much everyone's machine now (at least for those who
need it), and people are using that all the time to authenticate to
kernel.org/Google/Okta/whatnot. No workflow got broken in the process.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs