RE: [bug-report]rdma-core v51.0 build error with Rocky Linux 8.8

> > /home/mmarcini/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/rdma-core-51.0-1.el8.x86_64/usr/shar
> > e/doc/rdma-core/tests/*.py
> >
> > Earlier in the build this is seen:
> > -- Found Python: /usr/bin/python3.9 (found version "3.9.16") found
> > components: Interpreter
> > -- Could NOT find cython (missing: CYTHON_EXECUTABLE
> > CYTHON_VERSION_STRING)
> >
> > The issue appears to have been introduced by:
> > 1462a8737 build: Fix cmake warning
> >
> > cmake appears to find the 3.9 python despite having:
> > -DPYTHON_EXECUTABLE:PATH=%{__python3}
>
> I looked at this briefly but didn't guess what the issue really was?
> Do you know more?
>
> Jason

I looks like the above commit changes the cmake to use a new >= 3.12 code path:

  # FindPython looks preferably for Python3. If not found, version 2 is searched
  FIND_PACKAGE(Python COMPONENTS Interpreter REQUIRED)
  set(PYTHON_EXECUTABLE ${Python_EXECUTABLE})
  if (NOT NO_PYVERBS AND Python_VERSION_MAJOR EQUAL 3)
    FIND_PACKAGE(cython)
  endif()

There is an additional refinement from:
5dcc1f402 Improve python searching logic in buildscripts.

That patch does NOT fix the issue.

The rhel 8.10 cython requires the 3.6.8 Python, but the FIND_PACKAGE() for python
returns the python3.11 required by valgrind dependency resolution.

The issue happens on any system where the cython required interpreter is older than the most recent python.

This can be reproduced by loading a newer python and rebuilding the 51.0 rdma-core from a git clone using either 51.0 or master.

An RPM based RHEL build can replace the existing PYTHON_EXECUABLE with Python_EXECUTABLE.

The issue can also be fixed by adding a variable that can be passed on the command line with a compensating
fix in the CMakeLists.txt to pass use the EXACT python version required by cython.

Thanks to looking into this!
Mike