Re: [RFC] RDMA/umem: pin_user_pages*() can temporarily fail due to migration glitches

On Thu, May 02, 2024 at 11:10:05AM -0700, John Hubbard wrote:
> On 5/1/24 11:56 PM, David Hildenbrand wrote:

> > > I wonder if we should remove the arbitrary retry limit in
> > > migrate_pages() entirely for ZONE_MOVEABLE pages and just loop until
> > > they migrate? By definition there should only be transient references on
> > > these pages so why do we need to limit the number of retries in the
> > > first place?
> >
> > There are some weird things that still needs fixing: vmsplice() is the
> > example that doesn't use FOLL_LONGTERM.
> >

> Hi David!
>
> Do you have any other call sites in mind? It sounds like one way forward
> is to fix each call site...
>
> This is an unhappy story right now: the pin_user_pages*() APIs are
> significantly worse than before the "migrate pages away automatically"
> upgrade, from a user point of view. Because now, the APIs fail
> intermittently for callers who follow the rules--because
> pin_user_pages() is not fully working yet, basically.
>
> Other ideas, large or small, about how to approach a fix?

IMHO pin_user_pages() should sleep and spin in an interruptable sleep
until we get all the migrations done. Not sure how hard it would be to
add some kind of proper waiting event sleep?

If userspace has got itself into knots then pin_user_pages() will
block in the kernel and ctrl-c will rescue it.

Even the temporary pins for something like O_DIRECT are long enough
that we wouldn't want to just spin the CPU.

Jason