SRIOV virtual functions with Linux "inbox" opensm

To Whom It May Concern:

I am using a few Mellanox ConnectX-4 100 Gbps Infiniband NIC that's connected together via a Mellanox MSB7890 externally managed switch.

I have a dual Xeon E5-2697A v4, Proxmox 7.4-17 (Debian 11) server that's running opensm, along with two AMD Ryzen 5950X compute nodes, that also have the ConnectX-4 in them, running Proxmox 7.4-17 as well.

I have enabled SR-IOV on all three systems, and all three systems have 8 virtual functions for said ConnectX-4.

I read in the Nvidia/Mellanox documentation that I would need to add the parameter "virt_enabled 2" to /etc/opensm/opensm.conf so that the OpenSM subnet manager will know that virtual functions are enabled, but it would appear that the opensm that ships with Debian 11/linux-rdma, either ignores that option or doesn't know what to do with it.

I would prefer NOT to install the MLNX_OFED drivers for Debian (11) if I can avoid it.

My two questions are how do I get the linux opensm to:

    Recognise that I am using virtual functions (so that it would understand that there are multiple traffic streams coming over the wire, via one physical port)?

    Automatically assign the Node GUID and Port GUID so that I don't have to set those manually.

    (I've set the Node GUID and Port GUID on the my Ryzen compute node host already, and I can see the Node GUID and Port GUID inside my CentOS 7.7.1908 VM (which I've updated to use the 5.4.247 kernel), but it is still showing "Port 1, State: Down".)

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.