Re: Creating new RDMA driver for habanalabs

On Sun, Jul 10, 2022 at 10:30:41AM +0300, Oded Gabbay wrote:

> Per my understanding, the MRs are meant to notify the driver that the
> user would like the h/w MMU to be familiar with these memory regions.
> As we also need to pin them, it is preferable to have multiple small
> MRs than a single very large MR.
> The fact that the key that is returned is the same for all memory
> regions shouldn't affect the user. Our MMU will be able to do the
> translation correctly using only the ASID+address.
> In addition, because we also have on-device memory (HBM), we would
> like to allow the user to register memory regions in that memory. So
> we need to support at least two MRs.

I think it would make sense to stick with a single MR and just have
some DV operation to remap portions of it. It achieves the same thing
for you without creating a verbs confusion with multiple MRs that are
actually the same MR.

mlx5 already has a dv API that is sort of like this, so there is
precedent.

Jason