Re: [bug report] WARNING: possible circular locking at: rdma_destroy_id+0x17/0x20 [rdma_cm] triggered by blktests nvmeof-mp/002

On 6/1/22 05:45, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
On Tue, May 31, 2022 at 10:55:46AM -0700, Bart Van Assche wrote:
On 5/31/22 05:35, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
On Sat, May 28, 2022 at 09:00:16PM +0200, Bart Van Assche wrote:
On 5/27/22 14:52, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
That only works if you can detect actual different lock classes during
lock creation. It doesn't seem applicable in this case.

Why doesn't it seem applicable in this case? The default behavior of
mutex_init() and related initialization functions is to create one lock
class per synchronization object initialization caller.
lockdep_register_key() can be used to create one lock class per
synchronization object instance. I introduced lockdep_register_key() myself
a few years ago.

I don't think this should be used to create one key per instance of
the object which would be required here. The overhead would be very
high.

Are we perhaps referring to different code changes? I'm referring to the
code change below. The runtime and memory overhead of the patch below
should be minimal.

This is not minimal, the lockdep graph will expand now with a node per
created CM ID ever created and with all the additional locking
arcs. This is an expensive operation.

AFIAK keys should not be created per-object like this but based on
object classes known when the object is created - eg a CM listening ID
vs a connceting ID as an example

This might be a suitable hack if the # of objects was small???

Lockdep uses hashing when looking up a lock object so the lookup time shouldn't increase significantly if the number of hash collisions stays low. I think this is likely since the number of hash entries is identical to the maximum number of synchronization objects divided by two. See also the definition of the lock_keys_hash[] array in kernel/locking/lockdep.c.

Thanks,

Bart.