Re: IPoIB child interfaces not working with mlx5

On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 2:07 PM Leon Romanovsky <leon@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 02:09:50PM +0100, Jack Wang wrote:

> > > Are you using "enhanced IPoIB" for CX-5 devices? MLX5_CORE_IPOIB?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> >
> >  Yes.
>
> > Is this expected behavor?
>
> Yes, we wanted to make IPoIB behave like any other netdev interfaces and
> if parent interface isn't enabled, no traffic should pass. More on that,
> in our internal implementation of enhanced IPoIB, we are reusing same
> resources for both parent and child, this requires us to wait for "UP"
> event before allowing traffic.
>
> Thanks
Hi Leon,

Thanks for the clarification, is this behavior documented somewhere?
is it specific to "enhanced IPoIB" for CX-5?
Will it work differently if without MLX5_CORE_IPOIB enabled?

I think it would be helpful to add a message if possible to remind
admin to enable parent if only child if configured.

Thanks!