Re: "Timeout waiting for PADO packets" until reboot

David Gyimesi <david6670@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > If there is a short, let's say only 10 minutes, outage between the home
    > and the ISP, the router prints "pppd[17084]: Timeout waiting for PADO
    > packets" messages but it is able to re-establish the connection
    > automatically when the outage is resolved.

    > However if the outage is relatively longer the router just keeps
    > printing "pppd[17084]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets" messages and
    > even if the outage has been resolved the router is not able to
    > re-establish the PPPoE connection. However after a reboot the router is
    > able to establish the PPPoE connection without problem.

I experience the same thing.

What I think is that the DSL/PPPoE network simply forgets what your router's
MAC address is, and the router reboot sends something else that makes it all
work again.  Maybe because the virtual (L2) circuit is reastablished. That's
for the VDSL situation that I have.

FTTH has many implementations, some have overlays on top of the GPON.
The fact that you have PPPoE at all suggests that is the case.
Not everyone has GPON, even.

I don't have a solution, but I've looked for some clear indication.
My friendly third-party ISP has looked at their end as well, and when the
connection is in the bad state, they see nothing.  In between are the
completely incompetent incumbent telco.
(I live in Ottawa, Canada)

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )